20080204

Hey, where's my change?

Often, when I go to KFC to buy a 5 piece chicken strip meal (which costs 9.90 RON), I give the cashier a 10 RON note and after a few seconds of hope, I realize that I'm not going to get my 10 bani coin back (bani are like cents). Why does this happen?

Hmm, I have no idea but this is a strange fact about Romania - they often don't give you back correct change. It's not always a loss to you either - give or take 10 to 20 bani above or below the actual price of the item, vendors often think it's just easier to "not worry about it".

But ... hey wait.. how do you say in Romanian, "I'm worried about it"? :(

Bryan

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am Romanian and i live in Romania and this is one thing that rally bothers me: that they don't give you the change. Often they say "oh, we don't have small change, can we give you a candy or a gum instead?". :P
I wanted to tell you that this is not bothering only you, it annoys all of us.

Anonymous said...

Well most of the sellers have a big problem with the change - I always keep the small change and put it in a piggy-bang and when it s about 3 euros of change I go to the market I usually go and give it to them on big money. They are always very grateful :)
In other places this is a way of making tips...

Anonymous said...

" Ma ingrijoreaza!".

that's a habbit.that's how we used the people ,usually when l have coins,l leave it home...and if l'm at a store and l get coins,l drop it there,as a tip. nothing wrong about it,if that's my plasure,l know ehrn l worked as a seller and someone left me a tip,l was happy after a long day of work...but the point is and l wonder how many people cud get something from the store if they didn't had enough money to buy it...trust me ...not so many...unless if is a store from ur neighborhood and the vender knows you.